Russia has said that it has destroyed Ukrainian military positions using ‘Grad’ multiple launch rocket systems.
The footage purports to show Russian soldiers calibrating some targeting instruments before a ‘Grad’ multiple launch rocket system (MLRS) vehicle is seen manoeuvring into position in a field.
It can then be seen opening fire, unleashing a deadly salvo of rockets.
The Russian war machine can then be seen manoeuvring away to avoid being hit by return fire.
The footage shows it reversing under some camouflage netting in a forested area as the video ends.
The images were obtained from the Russian Ministry of Defence (MoD) on Wednesday, 31st May, along with a statement claiming: “Crews of the Grad MLRS of the Western Military District destroyed objects and camouflaged positions of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in the special military operation zone.”
The Russian MoD added: “Artillery units of the Western Military District, in the course of the special military operation, continue to carry out fire missions to destroy artillery batteries of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, destroy camouflaged defensive structures, suppress command posts, destroy enemy fire weapons, weapons and military equipment, using the tactics of frequent changes in firing positions.
“Rocket-volley artillery is also used for barrage fire on the routes of a possible withdrawal or advance of the enemy.
“The shock wave and fragments that scatter hundreds of meters destroy the identified firing positions and fortifications. […]”
We have not been able to independently verify the claims or the footage.
Russia invaded Ukraine on 24th February 2022 in what the Kremlin is still calling a “special military operation”. Today marks the 462nd day of the full-scale war.
The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine reported that between 24th February 2022 and 31st May 2023, Russia had lost about 207,910 personnel, 3,802 tanks, 7,472 armoured combat vehicles, 3,460 artillery units, 575 multiple launch rocket systems, 333 air defence systems, 313 warplanes, 298 helicopters, 3,124 drones, 1,107 cruise missiles, 18 warships, 6,230 motor vehicles and fuel tankers, and 454 units of special equipment.
Russia has claimed that its casualties have been much lower but provides infrequent updates on its latest figures.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has accused Ukraine of trying to “frighten” Russians after the capital Moscow was hit with a large-scale drone attack for the first time since the beginning of the full-scale war between the two countries.
He added that Ukraine was attempting to intimidate Russia and Russian citizens with “attacks on residential buildings” that were “clearly a sign of terrorist activity.”
Mykhailo Podolyak, a Ukrainian presidential aide, denied that his country was involved but did predict “an increase in the number of attacks”.
The UK Foreign Secretary, James Cleverly, said that Kyiv has a “legitimate right” to defend itself and can “project force” outside of its borders.
He said at a news conference on Tuesday in Estonia that Ukraine has “the right to project force beyond its borders to undermine Russia’s ability to project force into Ukraine itself.”
The Russian Ministry of Defence has said that eight drones targeted Moscow overnight, with Russian media saying that over 30 drones had taken part in the attack.
Meanwhile, Ukraine’s capital Kyiv was attacked for the third time and 24 hours, with an air raid taking place on Tuesday morning.
The city’s mayor, Vitali Klitschko, said that 20 residents had been evacuated from a building that was hit, adding that one person had died and four people were injured.
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said on Tuesday that Sweden joining NATO is “within reach”.
Stoltenberg said that it is possible to reach a solution and enable the decision on full membership for Sweden by July, which is when a NATO summit is set to take place.